I’m so happy to share my next video as part of my partnership with Crisco and their Heritage Kitchen campaign, a hub dedicated to all things food, family and tradition.
This delicious quiche is my go-to when craving a hearty, but light breakfast to start my day or when having friends or family over. The easy-to-prepare flaky homemade crust mixed with fresh farmer’s market vegetables makes this quiche extra special.
Recipe below and additional instructions on the blog: http://thelodown.com/cooking/vegetable-quiche/
Breakfast Quiche (Crisco Vegetable Shortening Baking Stick)
• 1/2 stick well-chilled Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
• 1.5 cups flour
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 4-8 Tbsp cold water
• 6 eggs
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 Tbsp black pepper
• 1 Tbsp. thyme leaves
• 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced squash
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks
• 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
• 1 tsp Half & Half
1. Combine flour and salt into a bowl and chop Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening into it using a fork or pastry cutter. Continue to mix together until the mixture is the size of small peas.
2. Sprinkle up to 8 tablespoons of ice cold water into the mixture until a dough starts to form as you combine everything together with your hands. Once dough is formed flatten it into a disk, cover in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
3. After 30 minutes remove dough from refrigerator and unroll the dough by rolling out from the center. Place the dough on a flat surface with a bit of flour on the surface and rolling pin. Using rolling pin, place the rolled out dough over round baking dish.
4. For the egg mixture take 6 eggs and whisk them together with 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 Tbsp. black pepper, 1 Tbsp. thyme leaves, a splash of Half & Half, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (but save some for the topping).
5. Layer vegetables in quiche pan or round baking dish. Use 1/2 cup thinly cut squash, 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks, and 1/4 cup crumbled bacon. Sprinkle in some of the remaining cheese, and then pour the egg mixture on top. Move everything around a bit with a fork or spatula so it’s even. Sprinkle the last of the cheese on top and it’s ready for the oven!
6. Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes or until the egg mixture is firm and the top is getting browned.